celebrations and frustrations


Wednesday, August 14, 2013












I've been rather silent in these here parts, but I can assure you that my life is NOTHING but silent right now. These two kids have been working me like a horse!  Jared asked me last night when I was going to write another post on the good ol' blog here, but I just haven't mustered up the energy to write anything. I feel like all I am going to blabber about is how horrible life can be some times, and no one wants to read that. There have been some good things, too, that have helped to make digesting the bad a bit easier. So I thought I'd do a weekly inventory, mostly for myself, of things to celebrate and other things that frustrate me. Basically taking to heart one of my favorite scenes from "White Christmas," and counting my blessings instead of sheep, no matter how small they may be.

Celebrations:
>> Evelyn can now jump! It took her 2 years, 6 months, and a week to be able to plant both feet together at the same time, but hey! She's ready for the long jump, now!
>> Warner is doing better at eating! He still will not touch any food with his fingers, unless it's a cracker (sliced bananas or cheese - forget about it!), but he is doing better with textures.
>> I finally, FINALLY found a rainbow sprinkle mix that I am satisfied with! I love a good, hard, crunchy sprinkle and haven't had success in finding a brand I like until last week. Hooray! Let the sprinkle-and-ice-cream nightly unions begin!
>> I found Warner the most DARLING coat at h&m. I can't wait to see him all bundled up! Which has me excited for Fall.
>> Warner's two top teeth are fully through. Thank goodness! We had a terrible time with those. I thought I lost my tender child there to could it be...Satan? but he is back to being an angel.
>> Chick-Fil-A chocolate chip cookies. My word, where have they been my whole life?! Have you ever had one? It is a gooey bomb in your mouth. How do they do it? It has a perfectly gooey center with just the perfect crunchy outer rim, and when you break that bad boy in half, the chocolate separates so commerical-like. I didn't know chocolate could really part in half like that. Kudos to Chick-fil-a for the most perfect chocolate chip cookie for $1.25 I've ever had.
>> Evelyn has started requesting quiet reading time all on her own! At some point in the day she'll ask for a pile of books, close her door, and sit on her bed and read for a good 20 min +! Say what?!
>> I have wonderful, wonderful girlfriends. From the one friend I've kept since I was 8 years old, to my most recent ones upon moving here 2 years ago, I am more grateful with every passing day for exemplary women in my life that have moved me and strengthened me through thick and thin!
>> The other night Jared and I were in the middle of a discussion about our future, when there was a knock at our door. It was the sister missionaries and we invited them in. We talked with them about our demonstrations of faith in God recently, and how Jared and I were both differing in interpretation about how to proceed forward. I took a turn, and then Jared took a turn, then I talked, then Jared talked, all while the sisters just sat back and listened to us in kind of a "therapy session." After we spewed our hearts out, one sister sat with an astonished face and with a crackly voice and tears in her eyes that she had never seen a couple communicate so effectively and respectfully with one another. That just really made an impression on me. Jared and I weren't putting a show on for them by any means, that really is how we communicate. We've never fought. Disagreed, sure. Been frustrated, most definitely. But we're pretty level-headed. And that is definitely something to celebrate, especially in a time of trial.


Frustrations:
BOY, now this list could go on for days, but I'll try to be nice about it.
>> Evelyn. I could write a chapter book about how terrible her two's have really been!
  1. She is in a stage of running away from me for EVERYTHING!!! Me: Evelyn, do you want go to the park? Ev: Yes. Me: Ok, let's put your shoes on!... Runs away from me. Evelyn: I have to go potty. Me: Ok let's go. Runs away. Same thing when we get ready for the pool and sunscreen, getting dressed, going to playdates - Ahh, it drives me nuts! So senseless. It's not like she doesn't want to do any of these things, she clearly wants to go to the pool, has to go potty, loves the park, but gosh darn it if she isn't tripling the time it's taking us to accomplish these simple tasks and rapidly wearing down my patience in the process!
  2. Chapter 2. This goes along with the running away, but not listening or delibrately disobeying me. What a Simba I have on my hands! The repetition of "Dont hit/push/kick/ your brother" is exhausting.
>> Night weaning. Warner is perfect, except he still isn't sleeping through the night. And if that is his only downfall, I'll take it! Except when he pulls stunts like waking up 3 times a night like the past three in a row. The kid doesn't take a bottle or pacifier, and we've let him cry it out soooooooOOOOoo many times, but he just will wail for hours, so I'm the only option to soothe him. He'll grow out of it, right? heh, heh..
>> Still struggling with this
>> It's been a rainy summer. 
>> A lot more crap.

Thanks to Amanda, this quote has earned a spot on my "words to live by" wall in my brain. I need to pick up this book.

"The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve upon the present, what comes later will also be better. Forget about the future, and live each day according to the teachings, confident that God loves his children. Each day, in itself, brings with it an eternity." - The Alchemist

1 comment:

  1. ugh. The whole East Coast has had a rainy summer! I'm just trying to claw all the vitamin D I can out of it before the big plunge. I know not everyone wants to hear a lot of negativity- I struggle knowing how much of it I should write as well, but I'm really glad you wrote this post! Sometimes it's easy for me to lose perspective on the fact that other people go through proverbial troughs in their lives too. It's heartening in a way. So thanks. Here's a fist pump from someone whose had a rough summer too.

    ReplyDelete