a very fishy weekend


Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I think the best thing about being a parent is getting to surprise your kid. Jared and I planned a trip to Baltimore this last weekend because Evelyn lives and breathes NEMO these days, and we were jittery with excitement to see her face plastered on all the tanks at the National Aquarium. I really can not stress how excited we were for her. This place had everything Nemo - Doris, tu-tee (turtles), jellies, olfeen (dolphin), and best of all - BRUCES {sharks}!! Lots and lots of Bruces. While we walked out thinking the pricetag on the experience was a bit steep, we felt satisfied that as parents we provided our kid an opportunity to explore another world. And there's no pricetag for that :)

Just across the harbor was Fort McHenry, the rampart that Francis Scott Key watched during the War of 1812 which led him to write "The Star Spangled Banner." That was probably one of the most rapturing experiences I have ever experienced in my whole life. And it made Jared want to find the nearest military recruiter and sign his bad boy self up for some bootcamps to defend this country. Actually, Jared has always wanted to be in the military but I'm the sissy, so, yeah...

16 comments:

  1. love the pictures! Looks like your kiddos had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jellyfish are beautiful and love how she has no fear of the sharks swimming past.

    Bettina
    www.littleoldsouls.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a small aquarium here (no Bruces, unfortunately) and our daughter is always fascinated with the jellyfish. Truthfully, so am I. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. Looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an AWESOME day! I remember the excitement of being surprised by my parents as a kid, and I can only imagine how it would feel as the parent :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We took my niece and Matthew there over the summer. It was a lot of fun. I can't wait until Matthew's a little older so we can take him back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun I love love aquariums, we got married in one. I never knew there was a National Aquarium. We'll def. have to try it out in that area. You two are awesome parents!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We always have fun at the aquarium -- such a great family outing!

    Love the GIF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just the most gorgeous pictures! I love the one of your 2 gorgeous children together and the last one of your little baby smiling will keep me smiling all day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it Kendra. Great pictures. Take care,
    Shauna xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awe! That looks like so much! I love that aquarium!

    xo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just discovered your blog via Top Baby Blogs - loving all your pictures!

    I would absolutely love for you to link up at the Friday Baby Shower, a new linky party for all things pregnancy and new baby. Old as well as new post very welcome - Alice @ Mums Make Lists xxx

    http://mumsmakelists.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/the-friday-baby-shower-linky-party-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the National Aquarium! Our first trip with my daughter is on the March calendar! :) I also LOVE Fort McHenry, and the end of the little movie they play in the visitor's center before the tour. When they open up the curtains to see the flag on the fort, I can't help but feel SO much love and pride for our great country. So fun, Kendra!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great family trip!!

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    -Sheree
    The Hartungs Blog
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete