a 10 year love story


Friday, March 23, 2012

When I was unpacking my suitcase on Sunday, I came across two little handwritten notes from the Mister. They were both so endearing and of course made my eyeballs cry. When Evelyn and I face chatted with Jared yesterday, she got so excited and started furiously waving and took my phone and gave it a hug. Again, eyeballs burned with tears. If you've read this, then you know in a nutshell our story. But being back in our hometown has caused me to reflect back on our thriving relationship, how it all started and where we are now. Indulge me while I spill out my heart.

January 2001. My heart pounded in my chest when I saw that handsome boy with perfect lips and luscious brown hair walk in. You see, I almost missed him because I was busy being somber in the back of the classroom. My parents had just uprooted me midway through my freshman year of highschool without my consent and moved me in to a town I had no desire to be. I was busy thinking about how miserable my life was on my first day at my new school when heaven suddenly came to my aid. That boy made my teenage heart throb. And I knew instantly, just like Noah did with Alli in The Notebook, that "when I see something I want I gotta have it!" Later I would learn that he felt the same way. Well, kinda. Apparently he just noticed that I had nice legs.

Fate was on my side. I learned that he moved in just around the corner from me about 8 houses down. This was good because we would most likely walk home from school the same way. The strategies were brewing in my head. Jared and I not only went to the same school, but to the same church, where I would have the opportunity to see him every morning for a religion class, plus at youth activities in addition to Sunday meetings. Yes, this boy would totally be mine {This is sounding really creepy. I suppose I kinda was a bit obsessive}.

Anyway, as months went by we did "like" each other. I say "like" because although we crushed on each other, we didn't do anything about it besides maybe AIM each other {pre-cellphone era} and tell our friends we liked one another. It was a rule in both our families that we couldn't have a steady boyfriend/girlfriend until we were 16, and since we were 14-15 at this point, we just "hung out." So pointless in retrospect, but at the time just knowing that he publicly liked me was huge.

May 2002. Jared turned 16. He had a sweet 16 party at his house, but even though there were crowds of people there, I felt he gave me special attention as "his girl." It had started to rain and Jared said he would walk me home. As we rounded the corner to my house, we hugged and parted ways. 10 seconds later I heard the sound of feet running in the rain. I turned around and Jared came back to say "I think I love you," gave me a kiss and ran back home. Ummm....yes, that would be my real life and not a scene from a movie.
Oh goodness, I can't believe I'm just to this part of our relationship. For times sake and for your sanity in reading this, let's say we were on and off in our "liking" of each other for a year. Or rather, I was always 100% with him, he being the unsure party.

April 2003. We were at a church youth camp for 3 days. On the first day there was a talent show. In front of 100+ people, Jared did this. Again, on cloud 9. We went to Junior Prom. We broke up 2 weeks later. That was the end of our high school love story, and what I thought would be forever terminated. I was heartbroken. We both dated other people.

2004-2007. I went off to college for 3 years, while Jared stayed local for a year and then went on to serve a 2 year church mission in Mexico. While he was gone I wrote him 4 letters just within the first 6 months he was gone, but after that I never wrote again. I was busy with school and doing the stuff you do in college and he was busy being a missionary.

November 2007. Jared was coming home in 2 months. When I came home for Thanksgiving break, I saw his parents and they told me that Jared was coming home January 3, 2008. Something within me ignited. I was going to see him after 2 years in less than 2 months. When I came back from break, I left Jared's senior highschool picture on my best friend's bed with a note that said "I will make beautiful children with this man someday." She and I both laughed about it, but a part of me hoped it was true. When I came home for Christmas break I was heartbroken to find out that Jared would not be coming home until January 9th - the same day that I was leaving to study abroad in London for a semester. I wouldn't see him for another 5 months. Bummer.

January 9, 2008. I made it to London! I was so proud of myself for navigating all the way from Heathrow to my flat via the tube and bus transfers alone. I looked up at the tall brick building that I would call home for the next 4 months and I was ecstatic to be there! In the bustle and excitement of being in England was still settling in, another part of me was so anxious to call Jared. I was 8 hours ahead of California time. 9pm London time I called from a phonebooth to a number I hadn't dialed in over 2 years. My heart was pounding. A familiar voice picked up. I used up two phone cards that night and I slept with a smile on my face. For the next 4 months we skyped. Jared got a girlfriend like I predicted, but lucky for me it didn't last longer than 6 weeks.

May 2008. I was devastated to be home in states and leave my beloved London town. Atleast there was one good thing waiting for me at home. Jared and I dated for a brief 6 weeks before we were engaged. I had heard my whole life that when you know, you just know. I thought that was the lamest answer until it became true for me. Nothing felt more right, more true, more selfless, more joyful than marrying Jared Oakden.

Today. It's been 3 years and 3 months that we've been married. And two nights ago was our first time in our marriage not seeing each other in that whole time. Obviously being back in our hometown just brings the good times {and some not so good times} coming back to my mind. I told my parents the other night that I feel like a teenager sneaking away to talk to her boyfriend 50 times a day all over again. It's been fun to take Evelyn to some places and think "10 years ago we were just two kids who secretly held hands and now we have this beautiful little girl to call our own with #2 on the way. Life can't get any sweeter!" And I may be biased, but I do believe I make beautiful children with that man :)

26 comments:

  1. What a sweet love story! Your life could totally be made into a movie (albeit a gushy mormon love story)!

    And yes, you guys do make beautiful children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I am BAWLING. What a beautiful love story! Can you please call Nicholas Sparks and tell him to write a book about it and then have it turned into a movie? Ahhhh, I LOVE love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing story. It definitely sounds like a love movie! I like how you always found your way back to each other even after all those years. Very inspiring :) I've never had the "when you know, you know" feeling, but hopefully someday !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh!! This is AMAZING! You are so right...when you know, you know! I knew I was going to marry my husband within a week of dating. I just knew it deep down. And we've been happily married almost a year now! So glad you shared this. And you two definitely have a beautiful baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I love this post! And yes, you do make beautiful children with your husband! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful story!! It really is like The Notebook! My parents started dating when they were freshmen in high school and I loved hearing their stories growing up. It was like a fairy tale. Ev is going to love this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, this made me tear up!! My parents met in high school too and I love these kinds of stories. How cute and wonderful is your story!! Thank you for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my goodness.
    This is one of the sweetest things I have read in a long time.
    LOVE THIS!
    xo,
    Sierra
    Oh, Just Living the Dream
    sierraainge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was so sweet! I enjoyed reading it and I think you do make beautiful kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous love story! You are a lucky woman ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are the best. So glad I was privileged to see the love story first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay, seriously? that first kiss was the best. loved this recap.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful story. And the whole time... I kept thinking.... those two have the most amazing eyes. And they are practically the same!

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet sweet love story!!! I had a whole picture play out in my head as I was reading!!! You two have a beautiful story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was such an amazing love story to read! And it's just the beginning for you and your sweet family :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so sweet! Thanks for sharing- I love hearing couple's love stories!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness,what a beautiful love story!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm a sucker for a good story, and THAT was a real good love story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful love story and the two of you are GORGEOUS!! I'm in love with your hair :)

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sweet story! It sounds a lot like mine :) And yes you make very beautiful children!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a sweet story, Kendra! I understand exactly how a place can evoke so many memories of the past. I love to visit the college town where I met my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That picture captures that you two are made for each other! And yes, you make very beautiful children!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How cute! I absolutely love reading these kinds of stories! Now, to get on finding myself a man like this! haha
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. wowzers. you two are a gorgeous pair. and i love the whole story. so fun to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  25. your love story left me in tears and goosebumps!!! Its beautiful!!! And God has perfect timing, I love how the Lord let you both grow but yet keep you two close because He knew you two were meant for each other. Oh such a romantic story <3

    ReplyDelete