there's me, but then there's that other me too


Wednesday, November 23, 2011

It was 8:15 this past Saturday night and I was husband-less and child-less. I was standing in line at Starbucks, ordering my first Caramel Apple Cider of the season. I wasn't in a hurry to go. In fact, the cashier actually had to wait for me to finish my conversation before I handed him my card. I was so chill.  CHILL, I tell you! I grabbed my drink and sat down at a table where I spent the next hour. My good friend from high school sat across from me and we entertained each other for the evening with stories of the past, questions about the future, music, relationships, friends, and just girl talk. It was super duper crazy how quickly this side of me came out - you know, the side that's not a mom.
While motherhood is my ultimate dream and is the biggest part of me and has turned me in to a person I didn't know I was capable of being, I wonder if sometimes I forget that I need to cultivate myself too - that I can be a good mother and have a conversation with someone that doesn't revolve around Evelyn {but let's be serious, I could never hold back babbling about my girl}. I just have so many interests in ADDITION to raising super-duper kiddos. Like, being funny. And stuffing my face with rice-a-roni. So it was nice to take a quick breather for a moment and to say hello to my other "self" again.

5 comments:

  1. Lov, Love, Love caramel apple cider from starbucks!! Glad you got to spend time with your other self. While motherhood is beyond amazing, it's nice to be able to kick back and enjoy a cup of cider with a friend!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so, so, so get this.

    Right around Everett's four month mark I started to get a little cabin fever-y because I hadn't gotten to stand in line and have my first caramel apple spice of the season and chat like that. So I made a few changes and took a little 8 hour a week tutoring job and set up Skype so that I could talk to my girlfriends without packing up a baby for a long haul drive to see them all.

    Balance is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those breaths of fresh air really help me come back feelin' recharged and I think it makes me hug the kiddos tighter and longer even if I was only gone for an hour or two. It really is a necessity as a mom.

    Glad to here you were able to slip away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! It is so hard to remember that we are individuals in addition to being a mom. Being a mom defines who we are, but it's not ALL that we are. THanks for sharing this post!

    http://penelopeblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so so important! I'm gearing up to enter into the world of motherhood soon and this is something that I know is gonna present itself fast. My new role as "mom" doesn't mean I need to lose what makes me "me!" xoxo

    ReplyDelete